Thursday, May 2, 2013

Paper Love

May sun & Jenni Bick journals.




No need to just think of spring anymore as it's finally here! I've put my winter coat away (not the thick bed sheets though as the nights are still chilly) and planted flowers in the pots on my balcony and the window sills. Still the weather can't quite make up its mind, so you have to be quick to catch the glorious rays of sunshine that make everything prettier.
Jenni Bick Journal with cotton paper

Not that those wonderful journals need sunlight to be pretty! They're made by book binding workshop Jenni Bick Bookbinding in Massachusetts, large and thick books in a format somewhere between A4 and A5 with a ribbed leather spine and a sweet tissue-paper-like cover in shades of blue, green and gold.

Jenni Bick Journal with cotton paper


One of them is filled with beautifully tattered-looking cotton paper, the other one with crisp chamois colored sheets with a hammered texture. In fact, they're so pretty they are intimidating. Can anyone's handwriting be beautiful enough not to besmirch one of these books? (Probably so! But, more importantly: can mine..?)

I'll take the plunge some day.

Jenni Bick journal.
The leather has an open surface and a slightly distressed look and feel to it which suits the "antique" style perfectly.

Jenni Bick Journal with cotton paper

Besides the stunning looks the journals are really well made. The bindings are strong and firm and everything feels like there's been a lot of thought and care put into it. It's a bit of a hassle to order stuff overseas but well... Europe has quite a few nice suppliers of stationery and notebooks but nothing like this - at least to my knowledge (if I'm wrong please let me know!).

"One of a kind" journals like these are made in small numbers only so they're not on their web site all the time, but you can usually snatch them up a few times a year (no, I'm not getting paid for this post! Though I wouldn't decline. Accepting journals too! *cough* :D)

3 comments:

  1. I could not find this kind of journal on the Jenni Bick website. I would be grateful for any guidance you might offer on this point. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe these were a special. Those are made a few times a year under the label "One of a kind". Maybe subscribing to their newsletter would help. I guess you could also ask them to make you some as a special order?

      Delete
  2. Thank you. I shall follow up on this with the supplier.

    ReplyDelete