Saturday, January 19, 2013

To think of spring

Christmas is over for a while now, and though the calendar tells us winter has only just begun I personally don't feel the need for any more snow and ice, both of which we've had rather a lot lately (comparably, of course. I don't mind if any Canadian or Scandinavian readers are laughing now. :D)

We're not really used to snow in this part of the country where winter usually means rain and, in short, a few more months of autumn, so when it snows it's usually something exciting (especially for children and car drivers) but when you've had it for a week you can't help but long for spring. It's like that for me anyway.
Leaving the house for work early in the morning, listening to the sound of snow under my feet while watching the slowly falling flakes in the orange light of the street lamps on my way to the train station: those are my favourite snow moments.

During the long wait for the spring I like to look at Namiki's Yukari "Yozakura" pen which depicts cherry blossoms as well as single flower petals in stunning purple, lilac, green and yellow hues of abalone shell. It's like watching the blossoms tumbling to the ground on a gust of wind.

Namiki Yukari Yozakura Raden.
This is just a glimpse as I'm still trying to create the right light for the Raden inlays to show their full beauty. Until I've succeeded this might give a small impression - and maybe makes you think of spring as well.

Do you also wish for the winter to end already or are is it your favourite time of the year? What sort of weather are you usually having in January?

2 comments:

  1. This pen is stunning!

    Our weather has been unseasonably warm, the trees even think that it is spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, actually it has been snowing here for the better part of three hours now and, although it appears to be a very fine powdery snow, I think it already exceeds the snowfall of last Monday's disaster (1000 km in tailbacks resulting from 5 cm/2" of snow if that, this for the further enjoyment of our Canadian, Scandinavian and Alpine friends}. And as far as I can remember this is the first time in my life I have experienced three winters in a row where we have experienced what we could call serious snowfall.
    However, the odd thing is that at the beginning of this month, exactly as last year, temperatures were unseasonably high, the lilac tree in my garden was already starting to bud and the blackbirds were cheerfully chasing each other.
    But if this continues, I might become a believer in climate change, though I'm not sure in what direction.
    And I do have fond memories of my trips to LA in January, walking in the street in shirt sleeves (short ones).

    ReplyDelete